(The) Megan's Blog

This website is dedicated to the random thoughts and pontifications of yours truly. Please feel free to join in on the free-for-all! No rules, just be sure to clean up after yourself - this isn't your mother's blog, after all!!!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Nada Mucho Acqui...

...but I did promise myself I'd try to write a li'l something everyday, whenever possible. It's been a typical workday today, busy busy busy... plus my backup is out all week, so I'm covering for him (read: overtime, aka 'Ikea' $$, yea!). So, the only thing I could think to bring up is a (not so) small issue I've been having regarding our young adult group at church. Ok... I'll try to make this brief, but you know how long-winded I can be... so... we tried to start this young adult bible study up about a year and a half ago where we'd meet once a week and go over different bible studies. We never had a particularly good turnout (maybe 3-7 people each week, 7 being a rarity). So about 3 months ago or so, someone (I think it was me) came up w/ the idea of rotating each week between bible study and 'social' events into our Thursday night get togethers. We started it up w/ the Wine&Cheese party I had, which was quite a success. Other things have included doing Happy Hours, Karaoke, and meeeting for dinner or Starbucks. I've really thought this has been a great idea, because more people have been getting involved in the young adult group, and we've had better turnouts on the 'bible study' weeks. Well... this Thursday was supposed to be a 'social' week and someone (not me) sent an email to the person who has been leading the bible studies reminding them of that. This person's response to the email was basically, 'our bible studies are for studying about God and the bible, and not intended for social hours. i'm not going to take that away from people who are here to learn more about serving God. If you want to send out an email to your friends to get together for social time, feel free.' My immediate response was basically WTF?!?! It was the social events that got most people interested the young adult group to begin with. If that's what the majority wants, that's what we should do. Then the more I thought about it, I could see this person's point. The point of having a bible study is to be learning more about the bible, and we are certainly not doing that by going out to Karaoke... so I am feeling a little torn on the matter... go w/ this person and only do Bible Studies each week (risking lower turnouts and people fading out of participating), or I don't even know what the alternative would be...basically trying to start up another group that mixes bible study with social activities, i guess... any thoughts???

5 Comments:

  • At Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:09:00 AM, Blogger James said…

    I dunno, I think martinis and other hard liquors might make studying bibles more interesting . . . Hell, get me liquored-up enough and I can discuss the sh!t out of religion--of course I can discuss the sh!it out of anything when I'm drunk, from anthills to windex and back.

     
  • At Thursday, August 04, 2005 7:07:00 AM, Blogger The Megan said…

    Thanks everyone for your comments... we have bible study tonight, and we will discuss... i'm hoping this was all just a big misunderstanding, and that things were perhaps blown out of proportion a bit... but we shall see... oh yes... we shall see.

     
  • At Thursday, August 04, 2005 7:52:00 AM, Blogger Tim said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Tim said…

    Well I will put my post back up if you think it isnt out of context here.

     
  • At Thursday, August 04, 2005 2:17:00 PM, Blogger The Megan said…

    I welcome all comments on my blog... as long as they are not mean things directed personally towards me.. cause that would make me cry.

    I totally agree w/ you Lesley, and don't feel bad for speaking your mind on my blog page... just so ya know, i think we share a lot of similar view towards the bible and Christianity in general.

    Also, I think you would be welcome to attend our bible study any time you wanted. I'll forward the topics to you when I get them and you can decide if you wanna go, ok?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home