(The) Megan's Blog

This website is dedicated to the random thoughts and pontifications of yours truly. Please feel free to join in on the free-for-all! No rules, just be sure to clean up after yourself - this isn't your mother's blog, after all!!!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Oh, The Ironing!!!

So... first a snippet of last night's activities, then a short story for your reading pleasure.

I went to my first bellydancing class. Leeann stayed with me and we ended up just being observers rather than participators. Thought it was awesome though, can't wait to sign up!! Hopefully I will be able to play catch-up and get into Leeann, Angel and Amanda's Saturday class so I don't have to take the Wed. night class all alone by my wittle self. Afterwards it was off to dinner at Baja Fresh... both Leeann and I thought we had been there before, then decided we had not, then decided maybe we had... we're still up in the air on that one. This was followed by hanging w/ Leeann at her karaoke gig and heading home way later than I had planned at around midnight. It was way fun though. I love Leeann's bar, it is the perfect size for me because there is a spattering of people there, but not enough to make me feel like a complete fool singing all by myself, which I finally did... TWICE! (can you believe it???).... plus, the name of the bar is the 'Poop Deck', and I just got a little chuckle everytime Leeann announced 'Hey, everyone having a good time tonight at the Poop Deck??' on the mic... intelligent humor is completely wasted on me...

Tonight involves a 2 (TWO!!) hour meeting at church for all the people who will be teaching Sunday School this year. My opinion is that if you have fenegled a group of people to volunteer for something, you should NOT subject them to two hour meetings, but then no one ever asks my opinion... hopefully this will be followed with oodles of fun-ness elsewhere but that is up in the air depending on how people feel and how well my skills of persuasion are honed this evening. We shall see... oh yes, we shall see...

And now for my short story. Please forgive me for I am backtracking here a bit. This actually happened over the weekend and I just didn't even think to mention it... but I have a feeling at least some of you will find the humor in it.

So, as most of you know , The Megan was walking around with an expired driver's licence for, oh I don't know, a year and a half? To put into the correct light just how ancient this licence was, it would probably do me good to make you aware of the following facts:

*I was still in high school when this licence was issued to me (Clinton administration)
*I was carrying around an 'under 21 until' licence at 25 years old
*I had to tape the licence back together, twice, from all the trips (read: clubbing)it took in my back pocket
*I look pretty much the exact same now as I did in the picture (ok this isn't relevant to my point, just thought I would mention it)

You'd think that being pulled over once, being denied alcohol on a few ocassions and several "ma'am, you really need to get this licence renewed" comments would have encouraged me to take care of this many months ago... but for whatever reason - maybe it's my way of saying FU to the government, maybe I just really hate standing in lines, maybe I come from the genus procrastinatorus extrortanarum, or maybe I just lack the required brain cells of a person capable of getting her crap taken care of in a timely manner - I don't know, but it didn't get done. N E who, about 3 weeks ago... drumroll please... your good friend Megan made the trip to the DMV to get her licence renewed!!

**much applause and confetting dropping**

I felt a little silly having to ask people how the whole process works (what's the deal with the TWO lines??) because frankly I just couldn't remember the last time I renewed my licence... I was still a teenager, after all... but I digress. So after waiting in one line to be given a # to be called to allow me to wait in *another line*, ie about 45 minutes of waiting (I got a new high score on bejeweled during that time!), I was through. I figured it would take about a week to get my licence, and after 2 I started to get a tad worried. I contacted the DMV and they told me it could take up to a month to recieve, but I did have that handy dandy paper licence that i could use in the interim... on a side rant, don't you think it would be a good idea for the DMV to give you that temporary licence, like, laminated or something? I know it's just temporary, but geez in the past month my temporary licence has gotten to look even worse then my... expired one. Digressing again, I apologize. Soooooooo... on Saturday, I go out to get my mail, and what should arrive??? Noooo, not the latest issue of Playgirl (you dirty freak... I cancelled that subscription months ago)... it was MY NEW LICENCE... YEA!!!!! So I run inside, open up the envelope, check out the pic (how is it that someone so ravishingly good looking can take such an absolutely horrid picture? I think maybe it's a government conspiracy to keep our self esteem low to make it easier to brainwash us and take over our miiiiiinds... damn me, more digressing), and gave my new licence a big wet kiss! This was followed by a "I got my licence" happy dance, followed directly by a trip to the bathroom... hey I had to 'go'. I set the envelope with my licence in it on the coffee table, and... well... you know. Now... the smart person's instinct would tell them to 'put your licence IMMEDIATELY in your wallet'... but I've never been accused of being a smart person... remember, I'm the one who let their licence go expired for over a year? Ya, that's me. So, I go about my daily business around the house, actually I think I went and took a long nap because I had been out late the night before. I got up in time to get ready to go out to Byblos and in my mad dash to get out the door, I left my licence on the coffee table. I actually thought about it that evening, and thought how ironic it would be if I got pulled over between now and getting back to my house... I'm not even sure I know where my paper licence is at this point. So after our Lebenense festivities, I drove very carefully (although, very sleepily) back home... made it into my garage, garage door down, engine off, keys on the dash........ WHEW!!! I'm SAFE!!! I breath a sigh of relief, and head inside....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
... to find that my dogs have gotten into the envelope and torn my new licence to shreds...

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home